DISCHARGED is a peer support group for people to talk about suicidal thoughts, feelings and actions.
This peer-led group uses the “Alternatives to Suicide” philosophy and is a space for people with personal experience of suicidal thoughts or actions, to come together and talk about feeling suicidal without being judged or put through a crisis management system. We believe that suicidality occurs due to circumstances in people’s lives and so members will mindfully listen to each other’s stories rather than trying to ‘fix’ or diagnose people.”
Core Values of the group:
• Culture of mutual respect, support and empathy
• Group is based on ‘self-help’ with a focus on relationships
• Each person is honoured as the expert of their experiences
• Facilitators openly identify with the experience of suicidal thoughts
• No documentation of the group’s content is recorded (other than attendance)
• Relationships are based in respect and curiosity rather than judgment or fear
• Value is placed on meeting and accepting people as they are
• Freedom to interpret one’s own experiences in any way
• Freedom to challenge social norms
• Willingness to sit with people in deep distress and explore thoughts and feelings without jumping to clinical interventions
We believe that people are Deserving of Inclusion, Support, Community, Hope, Authenticity, Respect, Growth, Empathy and Determination. These values are central in our relationship focused approach to wellbeing.
The name DISCHARGED reflects our hope for the replacement of failing crisis management systems that emphasise in-patient treatment, to a more sustainable community approach that supports people experiencing profound distress.
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/wearedischargedWA